Including Hosting Tips & Tricks
Longer days, warmer weather, and time spent outside with friends and family. That’s right—we’re talking about summer! The sunniest season is right around the corner, and if you’re anything like us, you’re itching to break out the BBQ, play some yard games, enjoy s’mores around the fire pit, and host outdoor dinner parties with your favorite people.
One fun and easy way to get in the summer spirit and prepare for the season is decorating your patio. Summer decor can instantly elevate your outdoor space, making it feel more comfortable, welcoming, and enjoyable for kids and adults alike.
To spark some summer decor inspiration, here’s a sneak peek at our three themes for summer boxes—Bees, Coastal, and Rainbow—and some tips for styling the perfect summer patio using the items in each box.
While you certainly don’t want real bees to join your patio party, bee decorations can offer the perfect cheerful touch to your outdoor space. With their bright yellow color and undeniable connection to blooming flowers and sunny days, bees make for the perfect summer theme.
Here are some tips for decorating your patio in a way that will create a buzz at your next gathering:
- Use comfy pillows: Placing yellow and bee-themed pillows on your patio couch or chairs is a great way to add comfort and summer cheer to your outdoor area.
- Decorate with yellow blooms: Yellow-colored potted plants and flowers make for eye-catching table decorations, as they instantly add color and personality to your space. They don’t even have to be real! Artificial potted plants require zero maintenance and still look great.
- Display cute signs: Signs, wooden blocks, or banners with bee-related sayings like “love and bee loved” or “bee happy” are great for creating a welcoming and charming atmosphere. Place these signs on side tables or the main table.
- Hang a banner: Hanging a bee-themed banner above your patio door or between trees is a super-easy way to add some whimsy to your patio space.
- Incorporate bee-utiful candles: Candles are a beautiful addition year-round. Use bee-themed candles to add a flicker of magic to your table decor.
- Use a tiered tray: Trays like this one are great for staggering different decor items. See how we styled one below with these bee-themed items:
Nothing screams summer more than taking a dip in the ocean and sinking your toes into the sand. Bring those cool, calm, summery feelings to your own backyard by decorating your patio with coastal-themed items. Whether you have a beach or lake house, or live nowhere near a body of water, eye-catching coastal accessories can make your patio feel like a calming oasis.
Here are some tips for decorating your patio in a way that will make major waves:
- Stick to a color palette: To play to the coastal theme, choose a beach-inspired color palette that includes whites, grays, beige/gold, and various shades of blue.
- Choose nautical patterns & materials: Opt for items with nautical-inspired designs like blue-and-white stripes, knots, anchors, and waves. Also, choose items made with coastal-inspired materials, such as wicker, rattan, and light-colored wood. Even little details like rattan-wrapped glasses and coasters can go a long way in adding to your coastal ambiance.
- Display beachy signs: You can never go wrong with themed signs. Placing a beachy-looking “welcome” or “summer vibes” sign on your table can instantly elevate your space and transport your guests to the seashore.
Bringing in bright, happy colors will give your patio the perfect summer vibe! Colorful decorations are especially great for special get-togethers like pool parties, baby showers, or birthday parties.
Here are some tips for decorating your patio in a way that will make your summer days brighter:
- Color, color, color: A variety of colors is the name of the game. Use brightly-colored cups, plates, bowls, napkins, and other items, aiming to include all colors of the rainbow.
- Use a rainbow table runner: The table is often the center of your patio, so make sure it pops! Start by laying down a rainbow-striped table runner, which will instantly give your space a fun, summery vibe.
- Decorate the table: When it comes to decorating your table, anything rainbow goes, from signs with feel-good sayings in rainbow lettering to small, rainbow-accented planters.
- Hang a rainbow pom-pom garland: If you’re looking for an easy way to up the cheerfulness of your patio, look no further than a rainbow pom-pom garland. Hang the garland over the door, between trees, or anywhere else of your choosing.
- Up the comfort factor with colorful pillows: Make your guests feel at home by placing colorful pillows with cute sayings like “Home Sweet Home” on your patio furniture. This will add to your colorful theme and make your outdoor space feel cozier and more inviting.
Summer Birthday Tip…
Have a summer birthday you can’t wait to decorate for? Check out our birthday box here, including a birthday banner, table runner, scented candle and more!
Everyone Loves Fruit Pops
Popsicles made with real fruit are a great treat you can prepare in advance and serve at your next patio party. And who says they are just for kids? Check out these two recipes for summer fruit pops, including a boozy recipe for adults!
Keep the Kids Entertained at Your Next Patio Party
With all of these fun ideas for decorating your patio this summer, hosting an outdoor dinner party is undoubtedly on your mind—but what about your children? Dinner parties can leave children bored and, let’s face it, babysitters can be expensive and hard to find.
Thankfully, there are many ways to keep your littlest guests happy all night long. Here are some of our favorite kiddy activities for you to offer at your next patio party:
- Craft table: Set up a crafts table with art supplies for children and let their imaginations run wild. For a fun take on a tablecloth, use butcher’s paper instead and let the kids draw all over it.
- Kids only area: Set up a “kids only” area where your young guests can have their own dinner party. This can be a room inside or a separate table outside.
- Yard games: If you’re having a summer dinner party, there will likely be some daylight left for your guests to enjoy. This is the perfect opportunity to set up lawn games for the children, such as cornhole, Twister, giant Jenga, and ring toss. Board games are another entertaining option for children.
- Movie night: Set up a movie night inside, complete with pizza, popcorn, drinks, and a kid-friendly flick. This will keep the little ones entertained for an hour or two.
Jump into Summer with ReadyFestive
Our subscription box service delivers personalized decorations for the holidays and seasons, allowing you to stress less and celebrate more.